You Want Me To What?


This is a nice story about jiu jitsu. How did this make me a wrestling mom, you ask?

Ah, it's time for that story I told you about before. 

This journey all started in 2016 when Ali started eighth grade. She was a yellow belt at Hard Drive, practicing a few days a week and planning her next tournament. At the same time, the gym was starting a wrestling club and offering it to the community. That was nice. Other than the sudden presence of little boys running around while we tried to practice, it wouldn't affect us much.

They brought on Brandon Pence as the head coach and tasked him to create a team that would compete for USA Wrestling and AAU. Again, for us, that was nice but it didn't affect us.

Boy, how wrong we were.


Hard Drive was located on the second floor of an old building that housed several businesses. It may have been an old warehouse. There was a long hallway from the staircase and freight elevator to the black and red double doors that led to the gym itself.

Ali and I were leaving jiu jitsu practice, talking about the class and those we rolled with. I was upset about something and was probably grumbling about it a bit.

Suddenly the metal door to the gym slammed open. There stood Brandon, glaring at us and I think panting. He looked a little frantic.

"You," is all he said, pointing at Ali.

So, another fun fact about Ali that still applies today. She is super quiet and shy. She isn't one to initiate a conversation and finds the idea of staying in her room and reading a good book the perfect night. She does what she is told, making her a joy for any coach or teacher. 

So needless to say, she was a little mortified. 

Brandon continued. "You are joining the wrestling team. It'll help your jiu jitsu. You can compete. It'll be great. Class is on Wednesday. I'll see you then."

Ali stared at him for a long hard minute. Then she flashed him a double thumbs up. 

Brandon grinned as he walked away, letting the door close behind him. It barely shut before Ali turned at me. 

"I'm wrestling now?" She asked incredulously. 

I shrugged. "I guess so. I'm sure he's talked to Keoni about it."

Ali grabbed her bag and stalked off to the door. I had to admit. I wasn't convinced either that this was a good idea. At least she could try it and if she didn't like it, she could stop. 

(In case you're wondering, it's been seven years. She hasn't quit yet.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Girls Wrestling - The Next Generation

Diary of a Girl Wrestling Mom - Welcome and Introduction

Herstory Made